A drug offense refers to the possession, distribution, use or transportation of any illegal drug. Charges and penalties for drug offenses often include attending a drug diversionary program, probation, fines and jail time. It is important to hire a drug crime attorney to reduce or dismiss the charges.
Drug Crime Statistics in New Jersey
- According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 6.42% of New Jersey residents reported using illicit drugs.
- In 2010, heroin was the most commonly cited drug among primary drug treatment admissions in the state of NJ.
- According to the Fatal Accident Reporting System (FARS) in 2009, one out of three motor vehicle accidents were due to usage of drugs.
- In 2007, 797 people died in New Jersey due to the use of drugs.
- In 2007, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that one in eight weekend nighttime drivers tested positive for illicit drugs.
- Nearly 80 % of injection drug users are infected with Hepatitis C.
- Nationally, 21% of HIV infections are due to injection drug use.
Drug Crime Attorney in Jersey City, NJ
If you have been charged with a drug offense, then contact Attorney Joel Silberman. He can handle any type of drug related offense in NJ. His service locations include Jersey City and Newark in NJ. Call 201-273-7070 for a consultation with Attorney Joel Silberman.