Domestic violence is a pattern of violent and abusive behavior exercised by one adult over another, many times in an intimate relationship. Abuse can take many forms, such as physical, psychological, economic, sexual and emotional. Abuse can even be present in a combination of several of these. This can include forms of violent and controlling behaviour such as: physical assault, sexual abuse, rape, threats and intimidation, harassment, humiliating and controlling behaviour, withholding of finances, economic manipulation, deprivation, isolation, belittling and constant unreasonable criticism. Domestic violence affects people from all socioeconomic backgrounds and can occur in couples who are married, living together, or dating.
- How long does it take for the judge to issue restraining order?
- How long does a restraining order last?
- Is domestic violence a crime?
- Do I need to hire an attorney if I have been charged with domestic violence?
- What is domestic violence?
- What are the different types of domestic violence?
- What is a restraining order?
- How can a domestic violence attorney help me?
- Are men victims of domestic violence?
- What are the common signs of domestic violence?
- Are children affected by domestic violence?
- Does child abuse fall under domestic violence?
- What are the potential defenses to domestic violence?