If you have been arrested or charged with a criminal offense and are looking at some serious penalties or time in prison, you will want to have the best criminal defense lawyer by your side. A criminal defense lawyer is experienced, and is an expert in the field of criminal law. He or she may be able to make certain arguments and spot certain factors that could mitigate or even negate any potential crime. Hence, getting a criminal defense lawyer to represent you in your criminal trial is a necessity.
A criminal defense lawyer can call witnesses in your defense and cross-examine witnesses that the prosecution puts forward. In addition, a criminal defense lawyer may also:
- Figure out a good sentencing program on your behalf. If you are found guilty, your criminal defense lawyer may be able to work the sentence in such a way that would prevent you from winding back up in the criminal justice system.
- Work with you and the prosecutor to negotiate a “deal”. This deal is also known as “plea bargain”. A plea bargain can often reduce potential sentence or eliminate some or all of the charges brought against you.
- Help you with the emotions that come with criminal trials. Criminal prosecutions may often make a defendant feel embarrassed, depressed, and fearful and suffer from low self-esteem.
- Provide you with a reality check. A criminal defense lawyer often knows the situation better than you will during the criminal trial. He or she can offer insights into how the trial is actually going on and what will likely happen in the future.
- Point out important legal rules and regulations about criminal prosecution. There are many rules and laws that are buried within regulations and laws, and even prior court opinions. A criminal lawyer knows all these rules and regulations.
- Spend more effort and time on a case than a defendant who chose to represent himself.
- Gather evidence and statements from witnesses that are going to be called by the prosecution. Sometimes, witnesses may refuse to give a statement or information to people that were allegedly involved in a crime for their safety. However, they may be willing to talk to an attorney.
- Find and hire investigators on your behalf to not only investigate the alleged crime but also investigate the witnesses that the prosecution is going to call to the stand. If the investigators can find valid evidence, this could help your case tremendously.
Contact Our Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyers
If you or a loved one has been arrested or charged with a criminal offense in New Jersey, call The Law Offices of Joel Silberman, LLC for help. We will provide you an aggressive defense from start to finish, and will keep you informed regarding your case. For a free initial consultation, call us at (800) 889-3129 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.