Assaulted by a police officer? Seek Justice

Jason Parks, 43, of Gibbstown, N.J., a former senior correctional police officer at the Albert C. Wagner Youth Correctional Facility in Bordentown, pleaded guilty after striking an inmate twice in the back of the head while the prisoner was handcuffed and restrained by other officers. After the assault, the officer attempted to cover up the incident by falsifying his report and convincing another guard to do the same.

An assault by a police officer is a violation of your rights.

“Correctional police officers take an oath to maintain and secure the facilities where they are assigned,” said Attorney General Platkin. “The actions of the officer were not only unjustified and excessive; they were brutal and vicious.” “We will continue to hold law enforcement officers accountable to their promise to protect all New Jerseyans—including those in state custody.”

Punishment for the Assaulting Officer

In the case of Jason Parks, he faces up to a decade in prison. Under the plea deal, Parks also agreed to permanently forfeit public employment in New Jersey.

How was he caught?

Parks was charged in an investigation conducted by OPIA and the Department of Corrections Special Investigations Division.

Parks’ report after the assault claimed the inmate cursed at him and threatened to spit in his face, and that he struck the inmate in the mouth with an open hand to prevent him from spitting. Surveillance video from the facility and witness statements contradicted those claims. Parks directed another officer to write a report that backed up his false narrative. In his plea, Parks admitted conspiring with that officer to commit official misconduct and violate the DOC’s rules and policies, the release said.

Are you being assaulted by a police officer?

Assault by a police officer is a violation of your rights, and you can seek justice for it.

Federal laws that address police misconduct include both criminal and civil statutes. These laws cover the actions of State, county, and local officers, including those who work in prisons and jails. In addition, several laws also apply to Federal law enforcement officers. The laws protect all persons in the United States (citizens and non-citizens).

In DOJ investigations, whether criminal or civil, the person whose rights have been reportedly violated is referred to as a victim and often is an important witness. DOJ generally will inform the victim of the results of the investigation, but we do not act as the victim’s lawyer and cannot give legal advice as a private attorney could.

If you believe that you are a victim of criminal misconduct by a federal law enforcement officer (such as Immigration and Customs Enforcement; the FBI; Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; Drug Enforcement Agency, United States Marshals Service, or the Border Patrol), you should you can file a complaint with DOJ.

You need an experienced lawyer to deal with your assault by police case.

For years, attorney Joel Silberman served as an assistant prosecutor with the Hudson County prosecutor’s office. During this time, Attorney Joel litigated hundreds of cases and appeared before the Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division, on multiple occasions.

If you have been assaulted by police, the Law Offices of Joel Silberman, LLC, can help you pursue the justice you deserve. You need to act fast. Call us at 201-420-1913 or email us at



Leave a Reply